The Top Ten...Veggie Style!
Whilst myths about traditional haggis have abounded for
hundreds of years, vegetarian haggis is a relative youngster at a
mere quarter century old. The greatest myth of all is that it
is only suitable for vegetarians!
1. Macsween vegetarian haggis contains a
hearty mix of kidney beans, lentils, nuts, vegetables, oatmeal,
onions, seasoning and spices.
2. Macsween vegetarian haggis is suitable
for vegans and approved by the Vegetarian Society UK.
3. Macsween vegetarian haggis is for meat
eaters too and contains almost half of the fat of its traditional
4. Macsween vegetarian haggis has been
cooked, so only needs baking, steaming or microwaving until it is
5. John Macsween put haggis on the map and
created the first vegetarian haggis for the opening of the Scottish
Poetry Library in 1984.
6. One in four haggis sold by Macsween is
7. In 2009, Macsween celebrated the
25th anniversary of its vegetarian haggis and the 250th anniversary
of Robert Burns' birth.
8. A typical Macsween vegetarian haggis can
be microwaved in six minutes, while the microwaveable version needs
only one minute!
9. Macsween vegetarian haggis makes a
wonderful accompaniment or a stuffing for meat dishes.
10. Macsween vegetarian haggis has won Gold
stars in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 at the prestigious Great Taste